Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Time Out


Why Dinosaurs Are Extinct.
A friend sent me this cartoon. You may have seen it before as it is probably one of those gigglers that sweep like solar dust through the blogverse.


That wonderful Jennifer from Reading with Tequila who wrote such a terrific review of Dark and Disorderly invited me to write a guest post for her site. It's about the ghostly types identified in paranormal research and it's up today.


One of the reasons I like to read various low-brow mysteries and thrillers ( and I'm not suggesting that mysteries and thrillers are "low-brow"--just some of them) on occasion is the smartass language--the exaggerated, visual (and sometimes fresh and clever) comparisons, similes and metaphors.
And low-brow or not, sometimes it's a relief to read straighforward, knock-em-down-blow-em-up stories...On the otherhand, maybe I have no taste...

Here's some examples I've culled from a novel while on my latest binge:

An entertainment center with "more switches than the cockpit of a 747;"

Chances '"so slim they were anorexic," something or other "dropped faster than the price of icecubes in Alaska." A bar's decor "had all the class of an aging camp follower, and needed twice the paint."

Or," he knew just how dessicating the desert could be, leaching juice out of mind and body alike. It could turn most Westerners into whispering husks fit for little else but blowing away to crumble like old corn leaves in the desert, bleached of color by the pitiless and constant sun."
Visual is good.

20 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Love, love, love the picture!

I enjoy lowbrow too. I like detective stories and science fiction, and some of the most fun isn't the worthiest! I like the examples you give.

I hope your back is giving you some relief now.

Charles Gramlich said...

The downside of having a walnut sized brain, I guess.

writtenwyrdd said...

I love humorous lines like that. I wouldn't necessarily lable it low brow, either.

Bernita said...

Cute, isn't it, Fairy!

No improvement on the back, unfortunately.

I need a calendar to keep track of dates myself, Charles!

Written, low brow or not, I really get a kick out of the vivid stuff.

fairyhedgehog said...

I wish there was something I could do about your back! I hate knowing you're in pain.

laughingwolf said...

wb bernita :)

there are gems everywhere just for the finding, like you say

will check the blog asap...

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Bernita, you really should read a few S. S. Van Deine novels. Philo Vance! Twisted sentences! Words you have to find in a dictionary! German langauge footnotes!

raine said...

A bar's decor "had all the class of an aging camp follower, and needed twice the paint."

Ok, low-brow or not--I just LOVE that. May aspire to become one in a couple of years...
And maybe if it strikes the right chord, that's all that counts. ;)

Angie said...

Hee! Great cartoon. I've never seen it before, either.

I do remember another similar one, though. The animals were boarding the ark, and off to one side were a unicorn, a dragon, a pegasus, etc., rolling around laughing, or clearly imitating with mockery Noah's fear-mongering or the gullible animals who are following him.

Oh, well. :)

Angie

Bernita said...

Fairy, you darling girl, thank you for that thought.

Exactly, LW. No reading is every wasted--there's always something to enjoy and/or learn from.

I'll put the name on my list, Sha'el!

Raine, that one tickled me too!
Mind you, I could use the paint right now.

That description strikes a cord, Angie...I may have seen it too.
There should be a collection of "Ark" cartoons, cause it's a classic trope.

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

prolly help if i spelled his name right: S. S. van Dine. ...

my perfect record of typo ridden posts is ... well ... still perfect.

Rajlakshmi said...

loved those sentences... will check out the blog.

Whirlochre said...

That last one is the yellowest purple I've seen for a while.

Peter Dudley said...

Love the comic.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I once read this: "You have two chances: Slim, and fat." I've always kind of liked that one.

Lana Gramlich said...

I've seen that comic strip...very clever. ;)
I once described watching a bunch of chaotic, small ducks to Charles like "watching a headache." There were no other words. *L*

SzélsőFa said...

i sometimes use visuals to make a simple piece poetic.
but i sometimes hesitate to use similes...

Ric said...

Steven King once described Chrysler's 4 cylinder engine (the one in K Car) as a "sewing machine motor). Since I was driving one at the time, it struck home as being observant and, unfortunately, correct.

Hope you back stops giving you fits. Are you ready to go dancing yet?

Steve Malley said...

'She had a body that'd make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window'...

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Bernita said...

Sha'el,I seldom manage an error free post myself. ( fortunately, I caught a typo in this one.)

Nice to see you, Raj!

Nice image though, Whirl.

Good one, Peter! I like it when a writer finds a fresh way with a platitude.

I really like that, Lana!
And I just finished an Ian Banks novel where he describes a city planned like bird droppings.

I'm fond of them, SzelsoFa and wonder if I have a hieroglyphic past life.

Those are the very best kind, Ric, the ones we can relate to...I can almost hear it.
The back? Just when I hope it's beginning to get better, it slams me back down(whine.)
Times Square...I saw on CNN they already have a couple of naked performers!

Thank you, Steve.
That reminds me of all the bishop-and-the-actress bon mots in the early Saint stories!

muhammad yasir bawani said...

Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
www.jobzcorner.com